Skip navigation links
Allergy and Immunology Glossary
Ask the Allergist
Patient's Rights on Health Care Reform
Letters to the Editor
Patient Newsletter
Photo Gallery
Patient Support Organizations
Meetings & Events
Download Resources
Seasonal Allergy News
Find an Allergist
ACAAI > Patients & Public > Resources > Ask the Allergist

Infant Formulas and Corn Allergy

Q:  My three-month-old son has tried seven different formulas in addition to me breastfeeding him, and still has severe vomiting and eczema. He has just seen an allergist, who recommends I stop breastfeeding him and switch him to Neocate or EleCare formula while she completes her workup. However, I am myself allergic to corn and am concerned because these products have corn components. My question is, if my son turns out to be allergic to corn, can he use those formulas safely?

A:  The corn component in the hypoallergenic formulae is corn syrup, derived from corn starch which has been processed to remove any impurities.  Thus, this corn starch does not have any corn protein in it.  As far as we know, the allergy to foods is caused by a response to the protein part of the food.  Reassuringly, experts in the area of food allergy who helped to answer this question have not had patients react to these formulae.  Also, it is not established that children inherit the exact same allergy as their parents.  For all the above reasons, the child is not expected to have an allergic reaction to the hypoallergenic formula.  It is advisable that the introduction of this formula be done at the allergist office, on an oral food challenge protocol, so any side effects suspected to be due to the formula can be carefully evaluated.

Allergy and Asthma Relief Test

If you have allergies or asthma, use the Allergy and Asthma Relief Self-Test to review your symptoms and see if you need to find relief.

Learn More »

Find an Allergist

Allergists are specialists at treating both allergies and asthma. They can explain how your allergies can affect your asthma and steps you need to take to keep both conditions under control. Find an allergist in your zip code and find relief.

Learn More »