Common Asthma Triggers
Asthma triggers are things that don’t bother most people, but can make inflamed lungs worse if you have asthma.
Asthma triggers include:
- Pollen, dust mites, mold, feathers, animal dander and some foods
- Smoke, dirt, gases and odors
- Colds, flu or other illness
- Exercise — although people with asthma can benefit from some exercise
- Cold, windy weather or sudden weather changes
If you have asthma, your allergist will help you find out which triggers make symptoms worse. The first step to control your asthma symptoms is to avoid things that make you cough or wheeze.