You are here
Women Hospitalized 60 Percent More than Men After Emergency Asthma Treatment A recent study shows that women with acute asthma who are treated in the emergency department are 60 percent more likely than men treated in the ED to need hospitalization.
- Marijuana: The Allergen You Never Knew Existed
- It’s a War on Pollen during Spring Allergy Season
- Leave Your Sweetie Breathless on Valentine’s Day – but Not From an Allergic Response
- Moms of Food-Allergic Kids Need Dietician’s Support
- If You Are Having a Severe Allergic Reaction, You Need Epinephrine First and Fast
Facts & Statistics
- 16.9 million adults and 6.7 million children have been diagnosed with hay fever in the last year.
- Allergic diseases, which include asthma, are the fifth most prevalent chronic diseases in all ages, and the third most common in children.
- Asthma results in 456,000 hospitalizations and 2.1 million emergency room visits annually.
- Weather conditions such as extremely dry, wet or windy weather can worsen an asthma condition.