You are here

Instrument Neglect Can Lead to Saxophone Lung in Musicians

Reed instruments, such as the clarinet and saxophone, can be detrimental to your health if not properly cleaned. In a study presented at the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology s (ACAAI) Annual Scientific Meeting in Baltimore, Nov. 7-11, researchers noted that musicians can develop allergic pulmonary disease to specific funguses that collect over time in the instrument s reed. The rare disease, known as Saxophone Lung, can be misdiagnosed due to the persistent cough and wheezing and association with mold allergy. Researchers note it is imperative to properly diagnose Saxophone Lung since treatment with corticosteroids alone is not enough. If the mold is not removed from the instrument, the symptoms will continue.

Title: Malady of the Melodies

Lead Author: Marissa Shams, MD, ACAAI member

Useful Links:


The ACAAI is a professional medical organization of more than 6,000 allergists-immunologists and allied health professionals, headquartered in Arlington Heights, Ill. The College fosters a culture of collaboration and congeniality in which its members work together and with others toward the common goals of patient care, education, advocacy and research. ACAAI allergists are board-certified physicians trained to diagnose allergies and asthma, administer immunotherapy, and provide patients with the best treatment outcomes. For more information and to find relief, visit Join us on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.

Get relief from your allergies.

Sign up for expert tips delivered to your mailbox.